Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Corporate Crap Trap

In the corporate world where the Company or we ourselves abide to the unspoken rule that 'whether we like it or not we have to deal with it'. Cons - n work, we simply gain stress due to accomplishment of with impossible deadlines, deal difficult clients and bitchy colleagues. Pros - In every dealings we made others simply gained temporary or if you're lucky, permanent friends, companion, spouses and lovers.

We simply loose some and gain some. And that's how the world works!


Thinking about my professional career in the long run, made me feel inspired to share these gossipy, juicy stories that may hit on every neuroses we have.


Mama Bear and Papa Bear


In a leading real-estate company, where I used to work; I found out that one of the supervisors in a division of our department, is rumored to be our VP's mistress. No wonder this cute and bubbly, chubby supervisor is getting all the credits and benefits of other divisions ' hardwork. My division in particular. Though most of the time, I don't mind that they get the higher salaries or benefits. My colleagues and I simply hated that her subordinates didn't get reprimanded for not doing their job. Worse, they simply pass their workload to ours. Then, one of the fungus-tongued senior, in her witty humor nicknamed our VP and his mistress as "Papa and Mama Bear", because both of them are chubby. Unfortunately, when their 'Nicknames' spread in the entire department and reached inevitably to our grumpy VP. So, he called up a general assembly that requires mandatory attendance from all the members of my division. With his temper flaring, he lashed out to those who are spreading the rumors about people under his wing, having been romantically or sexually involved with some managers and executives - which in all honestly, I am not aware of - except for his own dalliances. Our grumpy VP stated that it's nobody else's business if one of us committed such indiscretions, as long as we stay competent to our jobs. It's funny to think that I admire him for being one of the most competent leaders in that corporation and the best boss that one could have. It shatters my regard to him when he simply turned into a monster if somebody snitched his 'favorable working relations' to his mistress. Another hard proof that 'nobody is perfect'.


Frenemies


There is a certain group of friends in my division, who were very much like the teen's mean girls. Like in the movie they have their lead mean girl, Girl 1, a married woman with 1 kid. Her hobby is to dish out every detail of her sex life, before and after her marriage. Girl 2, is the prettiest of them all, friendly and sweet - but very much of a bitchy aristocrat for having the balls of her bf. Lastly, Girl 3 is bit of a timid and shy girl, whose having an affair with her older and very much married Manager. The thing is, when Girl 1 and Girl 3 have a conflict; Girl 1, for being a snake, backstabbed Girl 3. In short, she spread the rumors of her friend, Girl 3, of her affair with their Manager. My heart went out to Girl 3 for a lot of things, her affair out in the open, her tasks unaccomplished because of no technical support from Girl 1 and depressed for being prejudiced in her workplace. Worse, Girl 2 offers no sympathy to Girl 3 and her Manager is mum about it.
Others felt sorry for her that others, including me, offered company to ease out her depression. After few days, to our amazement, Girl 1 and Girl 3 are back in being good friends. Heard it from a mole that Girl 1 spread the rumor simply to break off their affair. Her intentions maybe good but her way wasn't. The catch is, Girl 3 simply received a non-chalant apology from Girl 1, which was okay with her because she wanted to be with the "in" group - the pretty little things that are glued for superficial reasons. By the way, Girl 3's affair was consented by Girl 1 , simply because Girl 3 found out that Girl 1 had slept with her ex-bf on the sly. So much for dirty little secrets!


Devil's Angels


Giving extra zillion miles to the colleagues and clients and meeting the deadlines are stressful enough. What really irked me are those people who instead of doing their job, walks around the office to see every minions work their asses off, if they see something they don't like, it will be reported to the boss in a speed of light. And because of that they add to unnecessary load of stress. Even the flaw they see is that you have a really good and well-tailored dress. I admire their sharp eyesight for having the bird's eyeview in pointing out other's mistake and disgust for their wagging tongues that could influence our boss decisions. Very few crossed them, simply because they're our "boss angels", but in my mind they're simply the angelic version of a real devil, hence - the Devil's Angels. Unfortunately, I am one of their victim, I have received a memo for not answering calls, which they saw when they are doing their rounds. To hell with this freaking memo! Good thing, I wasn't reprimanded by my boss. Why? He simply knew that I am doing my job for handling high-end projects that have demanding high-end clients to be pacified now and then. Period. I thanked my real heavenly angels for being on my side.



Minding Manners


I remember once that I have a Filipino-Chinese boss, with the same age as mine; handled their new family business venture. It was the hype of the powdered shakes then, that my boss ventured in. Invitations for franchise in a news ad, made our office busier for phone and personal queries. My boss' competency in business is flawed due to his lack of manners. It's not that I am being judgemental or full of myself, it's just that at least he should not picking his nose in front of us, while giving instuctions. Though he graduated with flying colors in a prestigous university and a 'de buena' family name, I can't believe that he doesn't have enough manners to not pick his nose while he's giving instructions to us. The eeewwwness of it! Worse, his prospective client was turned off and insulted, when they discuss business while he was eating his homemade lunch in front of the client. He did not even offered a glass of water to the poor guy. As expected, no business was deal closed. Simply because his manner reflects on how is he going to handle the business. At times, he did not close the door when he pee to our communal comfort room. Yikes! But in the end, he improved his lacked of these manners, maybe because he noticed that we don't get too be close to him because he forget to take a bath sometimes. Still he's on his way to improvement. Hats off to you boss!


No comments: